THS Cat Chat

Anonymous Author Speaks

Man's Best Friend

Back to Article
Back to Article

Anonymous Author Speaks

“The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.” This quote is very relatable in my life because it totally one hundred percent makes sense to me in many ways. Dogs are always there for you; people can say hurtful things, and sometimes people can make you feel sad and lonely. These are but a few reasons I agree with Mark Twain, the author that penned this quote.

First of all, I love my dog with my whole heart. He is my best friend and makes me happy. He is always there for me and he never lets me down. I think this is true for many people. Studies have shown that dog owners are less likely to suffer from depression than those without pets. I personally think the reason for this is because dogs can make you happy when you are sad, make you feel comforted when you are afraid, and they depend on you for everything which makes you feel like you are important. These are some places where people struggle. I know I struggle with knowing the right thing to say to someone who’s going through a difficult time or how to make them feel better.

Next, I don’t think people understand how much damage someone can do by just making a rude remark or saying something hurtful. I feel like sometimes no matter how nice I am to people sometimes they will still be rude back. Sometimes it can even be not saying anything at all. It really upsets me when I say something polite to someone and they don’t even respond. I think that can be the more hurtful than saying something rude back. To be honest it’s not that hard to simply say thank you when someone says something polite. Also, it only take a second to say something that could potentially make that person’s day.

Finally,  sometimes people can stink. I have dealt with a lot of things during my high school career and the things that I have had to deal with have changed me in many ways. Some of the changes have been good of course, but some have been very bad. People are mean and that’s just the point, people can hurt you without them even knowing that they are hurting you. I used to be very very involved in my school. I was at every home game and I was always happy at school, but then my junior year things started to change. I was sad and depressed and I felt completely alone at school. I didn’t have any friends and was isolated. People that I thought were my friends completely ignored me and found new friends. I was alone. I ended up having to change schools because my parents were concerned about me. Since changing schools I have changed a  lot. I am happy and I have friends now, friends that won’t leave me alone or harass me online, which is a different story for a different time.

All in all, you can see that this quote is very accurate to me because I love dogs and because sometimes, as you can see, people stink. Whenever I was given this assignment I was kind of freaking out because I had to find the perfect quote. I am very thankful that Mark Twain felt the way that I do about dogs. Dogs are amazing animals and they always seem to know just how to make a bad day better. I think everyone should have a dog in their lives because they are such amazing animals.