The Student News Site of Thayer High School

THS Cat Chat

THS Golfer Goes Down Under

Jenkins Competes for Team USA

Trevor Jenkins takes THS

Trevor Jenkins takes THS "Down Under" in Australia with Down Under Sports.

Photo Provided by Down Under Sports

Photo Provided by Down Under Sports

Jalen Andrews, Managing Editor

Trevor Jenkins, a senior at Thayer High School, recently took a trip with Down Under Sports to play golf in Australia and Hawaii. He was selected to play for Team USA, and competed against the Australian national team last summer. Jenkins practiced, competed, and did some sight-seeing while in Australia.

Jenkins flew out from Los Angeles, California, to Brisbane, Australia, for a fifteen hour plane ride. Jenkins was outside of the lower 48 states for twelve days, starting on July 2, 2017. While in Australia, he played a lot of golf. He had practices and competitions just about every day, and he felt he gained a lot of valuable skills. “I was able to play nine holes during the day and nine holes under the lights at the beautiful Emerald Lakes Golf Course,” Jenkins said.

Other than golf, Jenkins was able to go deep sea fishing and enjoy time around the ocean. He also met people from all across the country and world. “I got lucky and had a room with four people that I really liked. One of them, Gavin, was from Helena, Montana. “Gavin and I decided to go deep sea fishing one day, and we were able to see whales from the boat. It was an incredible experience to see those huge animals from up close like that,” Jenkins said.

After competing for Team USA in golf, the next stop for Jenkins was Hawaii. While in Hawaii, Jenkins played more golf, and also enjoyed himself by the beach. “Once we got to Hawaii we went straight to the hotel for the welcoming ceremony. After that, most of us went to the beach to hang out for a while,” said Jenkins. The next day in Hawaii, Jenkins played golf at the Ko’olau golf course. “Playing on that course was the highlight of my trip. I loved every minute of it,” Jenkins said about the course. 

Not everything was fun for Jenkins, though. In order to get to go on this trip, he had to raise several thousand dollars. He did this by selling pies, working for various people, and picking up walnuts. Jenkins also received many donations from people and businesses in the area.

I was very thankful for all of the donations from the community people and businesses. It was extremely helpful and allowed me to experience this trip of a lifetime.”

— Trevor Jenkins-THS Senior

When asked if he wanted to go back, Jenkins said, “This trip was the most incredible thing I’ve ever experienced and I don’t regret one second of it. I made so many memories and friends that will last a lifetime. I would go back and do it again if I had the chance to, but I sure was glad to finally see home when I got back.”