The Student News Site of Thayer High School

THS Cat Chat

Rising Tensions With North Korea

Jalen Andrews

More stories from Jalen Andrews

South Korean Pen Pal Project

South Korean Pen Pal Project

South Korean Pen Pal Project

CAT CHAT Editorial Columnist Concerned for South Korean Pen Pals

The rising tensions between North Korea and the United States has caused a lot of fear in the hearts of many Americans. The verbal war between our U.S. President, Donald Trump and North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, puts a reality into the situation that was not there before. Threats against Guam and the missile testing that North Korea is partaking in has made this somewhat of a Cold War type situation, because the U.S. and U.S. territories could be attacked with nuclear weapons.

I feel a sincere concern for the people I have contacted in South Korea through the Pen Pal Project. A few students in Mrs. Debbie Langston’s English class started corresponding with students there last year. A THS graduate, Ms. Deborah Perez, teaches at a school in South Korea and coordinated the Pen Pal Project with THS. As part of the project we were able to correspond with South Korean students our age through email and videos. We learned a lot about them and shared our local history and culture with them also. These people are very close to North Korea, and the missiles that the North has in their arsenal could reach these targets easily and cause mass destruction.

The United Nations have placed  many restrictions and sanctions on the North, but it seems to have no effect. But how would anyone expect them to cooperate with these sanctions when the POTUS is threatening them with “fire and fury”? This is no way to treat this situation.

President Theodore Roosevelt once said, “Speak softly and carry a big stick.” This, in my opinion, is the best way to deal with foreign powers. The blatant threats that Trump made were out of line, and only caused more tensions between North Korea and the U.S. Although war is the last thing that I want, I am all for it if North Korea fires the first missile. But until that time, if it ever comes, we must try to resolve this situation, peacefully, without any bloodshed. We know that we have the weapons to deal with North Korea. Our nuclear arsenal is the strongest in the world. But we can’t go around threatening and boasting about this power, because it makes the United States look bad.

My biggest worry right now is that Trump will say something to North Korea, and the retaliation by the North will be firing a weapon at Guam, and then cause a war in which nobody wins. Although we would be firing at North Korea, the nuclear materials will spread all throughout Asia, especially South Korea. This would be devastating, and many people on both sides would die. So we should try our hardest to resolve this conflict as peacefully and quietly as possible. Nobody should get hurt from this. But if we are attacked, we will have no choice but to retaliate, and the people of the United States need to understand that. War is something that nobody wants to be a part of, but sometimes it has to happen. Military actions by the North cannot go unpunished, so we must be ready for this drastic outcome.

Nuclear war is unlike anything the world has ever seen, and it would hit the United States on the home front. The people in our area could, and most likely would, be affected by the nuclear warheads that were fired at the U.S. Not just military personnel, but all citizens of the United States. Men, women, and children. And it would be the same way for the people of North and South Korea. People who have nothing to do with this conflict would be hurt because they are simply in the general area of the people who are fighting. I have no say in how we treat the situation with North Korea, but I could be negatively affected by the outcome because I am a citizen here.

North Korea needs to change their actions, and they need to be stopped from building weapons of mass destruction. But the situation needs to be handled carefully and properly so nobody gets hurt. I am greatly concerned for our Pen Pals from South Korea, because they are very close to a conflict that they don’t want to be involved in. I hope that this conflict can be resolved peacefully so they won’t be harmed in any way, and we can focus on things that really matter within the country.

1 Comment

One Response to “Rising Tensions With North Korea”

1. Lucas Brown on August 23rd, 2017 4:22 pm

Great editorial Jalen! You have a great understanding of what is at stake, and why this situation has been dragging on for decades. It is very complicated, and I hope as you do that it can be resolved without a single shot fired. Any loss of life would be devastating whether it is in Korea or an American territory. I enjoyed reading your article!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Rising Tensions With North Korea

Editorials

Eclipse from Totality

• Rising Tensions With North Korea

Editorials

Shameful Times in American History

• Rising Tensions With North Korea

Editorials

Eating My Way Thin

• Rising Tensions With North Korea

Football

Thayer’s Defense on a Roll Heading to Cabool

• Rising Tensions With North Korea

Student Life

Rotary Club Announces Thayer High Student of the Month

• Rising Tensions With North Korea

Football

Homecoming Parade Winners

• Rising Tensions With North Korea

News

Mikayla Allen Crowned Queen

• Rising Tensions With North Korea

Student Life

Spirit Week Festivities

• Rising Tensions With North Korea

Band

Homecoming 2017 Halftime Show

• Rising Tensions With North Korea

Features

“Go Big or Go Home”

Rising Tensions With North Korea