THS Cat Chat

Movie Review

Kelsey Barton

More stories from Kelsey Barton

Artists of the Week
October 26, 2017
You Tube Trailer 2

I recently watched the new Annabelle movie, Annabelle: Creation, and it was pretty good; however, I will probably never play with a doll ever again or let anyone bring one into my house. All of the special effects in the movie were great. It looked real and a lot of things caught my eye.

The new Annabelle movie is a scary movie. It is now in theaters. It is supposed to clear up all your questions about the first Annabelle. While the title makes clear that this is an origin story for one of the creepiest dolls in film history, it also sets up its own characters and universe in which to play. Just as that box office hit centered on a group of sisters caught in a nightmare, Annabelle: Creation is essentially a haunted house flick with another collection of young girls faced with things that go bump in the night.  Any good horror fan knows that evil always preys on the weak and kind first. The film is about an hour and forty-five minutes long.

This movie is about a former toy maker, Sam Mullins, and his wife Esther, who are happy to welcome a nun and six orphaned girls into their California farmhouse. Years earlier, the couple’s seven year old daughter Annabelle, died in a car accident. Terror soon strikes when one child sneaks into a forbidden room and finds a seemingly innocent doll that appears to have a life of its own.

The country house where the majority of the film’s action takes place, feels like as much as a real time-worn place as it does a soon-to-be terror trap. Annabelle: Creations has countless sequences of foreboding silence, hands reaching for doorknobs, and our heroines shuttering in the dark, waiting for demons to attack. It’s proven that slower doesn’t always mean better. If you haven’t seen the first one it’s okay it should not affect these stories. The movie is rated R for horror, violence and terror scenes.