The Student News Site of Thayer High School

THS Cat Chat

Filed under Band, Features, Showcase

New Band Director Has High Aspirations

Grace Johnson-Videographer

“In ten years, I see myself leading a successful band program that remains very active and competes. I see myself having two kids and a dog.” This is where the new THS band director aspires to be in the future.

Mr. Jason Rehm attended Herculaneum High School in Herculaneum, MO. Herculaneum is a town of about 3,000 people about 30 minutes south of St. Louis. He attended Jefferson College (a community college) in Hillsboro, MO for about two and a half years to get his associate’s degree and he then transferred to Missouri State University where he proceeded to earn his Bachelor’s of Music Education and Bachelor of Music-Jazz Performance degrees.

“I first thought about being a band director my senior year in high school. I did A+ tutoring with the beginning band students in the sixth grade,” Rehm said. As he worked with students individually, and in sections, and as a full band he said the pure excitement that the students were experiencing as they were starting their journey in band was what inspired him.

Rehm said since he was in sixth grade himself, he has been pursuing his career in band. “I started playing saxophone when I was about eleven. I started learning piano by ear at the same age. I began playing guitar when I was thirteen and I took lessons throughout high school.”

When asked about traditions that he recalls he said that he mostly remembers doing the same songs and parades, but nothing was really unique. As a member of the Missouri State Band in Springfield Rehm said the band would always make the “M State” on the field during the pre-game.

THS has already been invited to the MSU Homecoming Parade Oct. 28 in Springfield,Mo. Rehm hopes to add a couple of more parades and concerts throughout the school year.

Jazz Band, Music Appreciation, Piano and Guitar are classes that Mr. Rehm teaches this year at Thayer High School. He also instructs the sixth grade band. With the many hats that he wears he still has high expectations for the high school band program

Rehm’s plans for the THS band are to see it grow and begin to compete in multiple marching festivals each year. He said he knows that Mr. Rouse taught band at THS for many years. Rehm said that Mr. Rouse has done a tremendous job with the program and he feels very lucky that he is still at THS to offer any guidance that he may need as a first year full-time band instructor.

I expect this band program to continue growing and continue the tradition of excellence that Mr. Rouse has instilled.”

— Jason Rehm-THS Band Director

When asked what was most important to him Mr. Rehm said, “It always ‘seems’ more impressive to have a band of a hundred on the field, but I have heard many bands that are huge and don’t have a great sound. On the contrary, I have heard many bands that can produce a more impressive sound with only thirty people.” Rehm said he feels that overall quality is what makes a great band, more than quantity. “I would like to have a huge band that is also very high quality here at THS,” Rehm commented.

Mr. Rehm married his wife, Sydney, in June. He said they don’t have any kids or pets yet, but in ten years we know we can see his two kids and his dog in the stands with his wife and the fans of the Bobcat Pride Band!