The Student News Site of Thayer High School

THS Cat Chat

Filed under Features, Showcase, Sports

Blake Allen Returns to Bobcat Country

Coach+Blake+Allen+joins+the+faculty+at+THS.+Welcome+to+Bobcat+Country%2C+Coach%21+
Coach Blake Allen joins the faculty at THS. Welcome to Bobcat Country, Coach!

Jordan Burgett-Photographer

Jordan Burgett-Photographer

A lot of coaches in my past had a large influence on me throughout my life. Being around them as a student and a player I knew that’s what I wanted to do one day.”

— Coach Blake Allen

THS welcomes Coach Blake Allen to Bobcat Country. Coach Allen, Class of 2009, was hired to coach the Thayer Junior High boys’ basketball and Junior Varsity boys’ basketball teams, the golf team, and to assist Coach Matt Pitts with the Varsity Boys’ basketball team. “My goal for this year is to rebuild the golf program back up and prepare the middle school and JV players to get ready for the next level of their high school careers, while helping in any way possible to help the Varsity team achieve their goals,” Coach Allen said.

Allen said his first day as a teacher at Thayer High went by smooth and quick, just like he thought it would be. “I wasn’t as nervous as I should have been, thanks to my substitute teaching here back in the 2012-2013 school year,” stated Allen.

Coach Allen has experience coaching middle school basketball at Greenwood and Hillcrest High School in Springfield, MO. “It’s great to be back at Thayer and the opportunity to come back fell at the perfect time.” commented Coach Allen.

Allen also played golf at Missouri State University in West Plains, MO, for two years. He said he got the opportunity to work with a local golf pro at the West Plains Country Club, which taught him a lot about the mechanics of a swing and strategies around various types of courses.

Coach Allen enjoys coaching all grades. He thinks they all have different levels of the game that make it enjoyable. His biggest pet peeve while coaching is his players not being on time. Although, his favorite part of coaching is seeing the improvement of the players and the team throughout the season.

In 10 years, Coach Allen sees himself still being here at THS. He says this place has always meant a lot to him. He is very excited about this upcoming season. “I feel like the THS Varsity basketball team has a shot this year at something that has never been done here at Thayer High School,” Coach Allen commented.

Head THS Basketball Coach, Matt Pitts, said Allen has had success with every staff that he has served on and assisted from the bench during the Bobcats Final Four run in 2014. “His familiarity with our program will make the transition an easy one and we can’t wait to get things rolling,” commented Coach Pitts.

I am really happy that we were able to hire an assistant the caliber of Coach Allen. He understands what it means to be a Bobcat and will no doubt be a great addition to not only our program, but also our school!”

— Coach Matt Pitts