THS Cat Chat

Filed under FCA, Showcase, Sports

Father and Son Duo Team Up for FCA

Coach Bryan Tate (left) and his dad George Tate

In Thayer High School, there are many clubs, some of which have been established for many years. Clubs like FFA and Beta have been around for many years, and many students have enjoyed these traditions. But the newest of all the clubs in Thayer High is the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA).
The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is a nationwide organization, and was established in 1954. The FCA’s mission is “to see the world impacted for Jesus Christ through the influence of coaches and athletes.” The FCA has 17,376 ‘Huddles’, which are certified school groups, and has spread to 60 different countries. The FCA holds camps and summits, which are used to train and teach young people their message.

The FCA was established at Thayer High School in the 2016-2017 school year. Led by Coach Bryan Tate and his father, George Tate, the FCA was a major student body hit. “I had FCA when I was in high school and college a long time ago, and it is a really good program. It gives kids the chance to express themselves and show they are a Christian more publicly in a society that is going crazy right now,” George Tate said when asked about why he wanted to start this program.
In the club’s first year, it had over 100 members, and averaged around 50 to 60 students at a meeting. The meetings are held every other Wednesday, and everyone is welcome to attend. Although it is a sports based club, the club welcomes everyone, athletes or not. “As the President of the FCA, I am proud of what we accomplished in just our first year last year. Soon we will be doing more things to draw people in, no matter who they are. This year is the beginning of a new chapter in the Thayer FCA,” said FCA President Jace Matteson.

Last year, the FCA took their members to a Springfield Cardinals game, and pre-game they were able to hear Cardinals manager Johnny Rodriguez talk about his faith. Many students attended, and there were many complements about the trip. This was the first major event the FCA held, and they were able to connect with other school’s FCA clubs at the game. The FCA plans on going back again this spring, because of the good times and success that the event brought last year.
The FCA is the newest club in Thayer High School, but it has certainly been a hit. The club’s member count is one of the largest in the school, and attendance to meetings is also a school high. The FCA has many new programs and many people are excited about what is going on. Talk to Coach Tate or Jace Matteson (President of FCA) about joining, and any other upcoming events and meetings that you want to know about.