THS Cat Chat

Eclipse from Totality

Just+before+%22totality%22+and+the+view+of+the+host+home+for+the+Perez+family+as+they+experienced+this+historical+moment.+
Just before

Just before "totality" and the view of the host home for the Perez family as they experienced this historical moment.

Andrew Perez-Photographer

Andrew Perez-Photographer

The solar eclipse on August 21st, 2017, was absolutely phenomenal. All of the suspense leading up to the eclipse was completely understandable to those inside the path of totality. I was fortunate enough to travel and stay with friends who lived in California, Missouri. California is around fifteen minutes west of Jefferson City. As soon as I found out that Thayer was not inside the path of totality, I began looking for a place where I could travel to experience the once in a lifetime event. My mom and I are very grateful to our friends in California who allowed us to stay with them.

As the solar eclipse began, we patiently sat, awaiting the moment of totality as we peeked every couple minutes at the sun with our eclipse glasses. By just looking at the sun without glasses, you could not tell that it was covered by the moon even when the sun was around 95% covered. The only way to see the moon before and after totality was through the lens of the eclipse glasses. The sun was simply too bright no matter how much of it was covered. The only safe time to look at the sun without glasses and the only time when the world around you darkened was when the most awe-inspiring event in our solar system began…. totality.

No partial eclipse comes within a lightyear of a total eclipse. Not even a 99% partial eclipse can give you the once in a lifetime experience. We watched as the moon covered up the last little bit of the sun. As soon as the sun was completely covered, it was as if the sky was turned dark with a light switch. It was seriously that sudden. The sun’s corona immediately appeared around the moon, now seen as a black circle in the sky. People in the distance started shooting off fireworks. Street lights came on as darkness fell upon them. Crickets began chirping. The temperature, which had already been slowly dropping, was now at its lowest point. The horizon glowed like that of a sunset, even though the sun was high in the sky. I only spotted one planet during totality. I am not sure which one it was. I was more focused on the horizon and the corona around the moon’s silhouette. I was with a small group of people so there were no large crowds around with cheers of joy when totality came upon us. I was perfectly fine with that. Silence made the experience more enjoyable for me. It was over all too soon as Bailey’s Beads appeared around the moon’s edge. As soon as the diamond ring effect took its turn, we had to put our eclipse glasses back on. The sky suddenly lit up again as quick as it had darkened and the peak of the eclipse had ended.

I do not regret missing school or having to endure the long drive to the path of totality. It was definitely worth it.

I know everybody who was in the path of totality knows the real excitement that happened on Monday August 21st, 2017.”

— Andrew Perez-CAT CHAT Media Correspondent

To the rest of the spectators, nothing special really happened. Many people shake it off as the partial eclipse being the best it can get and that it was nothing special. I can assure you, partial eclipses are nothing. There is nothing that can prepare you for a total eclipse, and nothing comes close. The next total eclipse in the U.S. will be visible in 2024. Will you prepare to place yourself in the path of totality to witness a truly once in a lifetime event, or will you miss out?  

1 Comment

One Response to “Eclipse from Totality”

1. Garrett Blum on September 1st, 2017 10:23 am

You are very lucky. I wish I got to skip school to see the total eclipse. I guess I will just have to wait 7 years to see a total eclipse.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Eclipse from Totality

Editorials

Some Say ‘Don’t Buy’, But I Say Why?

• Eclipse from Totality

Editorials

From the Heart of One Journalist to Another

• Eclipse from Totality

Editorials

Politics Invading the NFL

• Eclipse from Totality

Editorials

Shameful Times in American History

• Eclipse from Totality

Editorials

Rising Tensions With North Korea

• Eclipse from Totality

Editorials

Eating My Way Thin

• Eclipse from Totality

Quiz-Bowl

Quiz Bowl Wins 1st at Grove

• Eclipse from Totality

Features

Greg Langley: From THS Graduate, to Veterinarian

• Eclipse from Totality

Basketball

Bobcats Dominating the Area’s Courts

• Eclipse from Totality

FCA

Father and Son Duo Team Up for FCA

The Student News Site of Thayer High School
Eclipse from Totality