The Student News Site of Thayer High School

THS Cat Chat

Filed under Football, Sports

Reigning SCA Champs Vs. Thayer Bobcats

"Chat with Coach Webber"

The Thayer Bobcats are back at it again Friday night, Sept. 1, where they will host the reigning SCA Champions, the Liberty Eagles. Liberty hasn’t lost an SCA game in two years, and Thayer has not beaten them in the past decade. Liberty has started the year off with two losses, though, whereas Thayer is coming off of a big win against New Madrid.

Liberty and Thayer are long time rivals, not just in football, but in every sport. It is an SCA matchup that always seems to be a fan attraction, and the games always seem to hold a little more weight. Liberty has bested the Bobcats for many years in a row in football, but this year seems to be a good chance for Thayer, as Liberty has dropped their first two games.When asked what Thayer had to do to come out on top against the Eagles, Head Coach Billy Webber said, “We have to keep their running game in check, and limit the big plays that they could have. They will probably stack the box in order to put a lot of pressure on our offensive line, so we really have to watch that. Another thing we are going to have to do is manage to pick up their blitzes.”

The rivalry between the two schools also seems to play a part in these football games each year. “There is no love-loss between these two teams. They are really good competition, especially in the last nine or ten years, they have been as good as good can be. So it is definitely a big rivalry game,” Coach Webber said. Liberty graduated many star athletes last year, including all-state quarterback Joshua Pruett. This could hurt the Eagles in the game against Thayer, a game in which the experience of the Thayer seniors could play a big part.

In the first two games of the season, Thayer has had some stand out players. “Ayden Stone has been doing a great job for us in the quarterback spot. A great pleasant surprise has been Jayce Haven, and also his brother Jett. Also up front Dawson Russell and Remington Childers have been doing a great job,” Coach Webber commented. These players could come up big in tomorrow night’s game, and they will have to have a great performance in order to get a big win over the SCA powerhouse.

When asked if this will be the year to knock off Liberty, Coach Webber had this to say, “I think we have been right there with them a few times in the last few years, they have just gotten the better of us. This year will be as good of a time as any time to beat them, and hopefully start our run for an SCA title.” So come on out to watch this matchup against the two rivals September 1 at the Louis Bozman field at 7 p.m.