THS Cat Chat

FBLA Fall Picnic

Back to Article
Back to Article

FBLA Fall Picnic

Jalen Andrews, Managing Editor

The Thayer High School FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) had their annual Fall Picnic at the Mammoth Spring State Park on Thursday. The members of the club ate dinner, played cornhole, kickball, and enjoyed themselves at the park. The club sponsor, Ms. Nikki Cunningham, brought pizza and drinks for the students to enjoy, and everyone had a nice time.
Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) is a club for students interested in pursuing a career in business after high school. The club is meant to give students experience and knowledge that might be able to put them ahead after they graduate. FBLA is the largest student business program in the world. It was established in 1942, when the first chapter was started in Johnson City, Tennessee. Since then, the club has expanded into 5,280 chapters across the country in the high school level.
There are four levels of the FBLA, each depending on what age group you are in and your business experience. The dues for the Thayer FBLA are twenty dollars, and you must have had some sort of business class to be a part of the club. Each year, the FBLA travels to West Plains and Mountain Grove for competitions, seminars, and state meetings. In order to attend state convention, you must have enough points to qualify. Also, the FBLA of Thayer travels to national conventions. This year, one leadership convention will be held in St. Louis, Missouri.
The fall picnic was the first of many activities the FBLA will be participating in this year. “As you can see, there are many programs and conventions to participate in within the FBLA. This club is a great way to get a good foundation in business, and Thayer High School offers this to all students that meet the qualifications. It would be a great program to get involved in if you are planning on pursuing a career in business,” said Cunningham.