THS Cat Chat

Filed under Features, News, Showcase

“Go Big or Go Home”

Kelly Steed Goes Big as Homecoming Grand Marshal

Kelly Steed went BIG for his ride as Grand Marshal of the 2017 THS Homecoming Parade

Photographer-April Earls

Photographer-April Earls

Kelly Steed, a 1986 Thayer High School graduate, was the Grand Marshal for the Homecoming parade this year. Steed’s primary job is with his family’s company in Thayer, MO, known as Steed Brothers, Inc. Steed’s big ride for the parade this year was one of the 18-wheeler show trucks that is in the family business. He said when he was trying to figure out what to ride in he decided to “Go Big or Go Home” and he certainly went BIG! Steed’s ride for Grand Marshal 2017 will be one that will be remembered for years to come.

Grace Johnson-Photographer

Steed Trucking was established in the mid 1970’s, through an idea of Charles and Jerry Steed, two brothers that are alums of Thayer High School. They saw that they could offer more to their customers through better communication and on time deliveries at the most effective cost. Charles “Butch” and as he is better known, and Jerry have twin brothers that are younger than them that also graduated from THS. Kevin and Kelly Steed (the twins) both entered the transportation business in 1993, thus forming Steed Brothers, Incorporated. http://steedbros.com/

When asked how being the Grand Marshal made him feel Kelly Steed said, “I was shocked! I feel honored to be selected. I have such a great love for my home town and high school. I went to Thayer schools from kindergarten through my senior year.”

Pullquote Photo

Kelly Steed is the epitome of giving back to his hometown. In his quiet and reserved way, Kelly brings smiles and warms hearts in our little community with his beautiful art of photography. The hours of time he spends covering all types of school events and community activities, is countless. Kelly has answered the call to serve.”

— Mrs. Tonya Woods THS Superintendent

Steed said his love for Thayer High has been a life fulfilling journey. “I’ve been truly blessed to be able to raise my daughter and send her to the same school that I once attended for thirteen years, K-12. I would like to thank the student body, school administrators and staff for asking me to be the Grand Marshal. I feel very honored,” Steed commented.

Kelly Steed’s Chauffeur for the Parade-His brother Butch Steed

The Steed Brothers company web page states, “Our mission is to consistently deliver superior service to our customers and be recognized as a world class carrier within the markets we service. To accomplish this mission, our team will…‘accept only the best from ourselves and give that to others’ and this is also how Kelly Steed is seen by citizens in the community.

Many people in the community are thankful for the photographs Steed so freely shares of area sporting events. “I feel God has given me the ability and all He asks in return, is for me to do something good for someone,” Steed said.

“The kids at THS just really appreciate all the pictures and stuff he does for the school. He takes thousands and thousands of pictures for our school. Some years he has even taken pics for seniors that could not afford them. He also did some really good posters for the football seniors,” said Ms. Rhonda Simpson, THS Student Council Sponsor.

“Mr. Steed is such a huge help to our CAT CHAT staff. He is a really great guy and we are extremely thankful for all that he does for us. His pictures are just awesome and he is always willing to let us use them. He is most deserving of this honorary title of being Grand Marshal,” commented Jalen Andrews, THS CAT CHAT Managing Editor.

Jacob Presley, a THS student and CAT CHAT Correspondent, said that Mr. Steed has been an inspiration to many students and athletes. “Whether he is taking pics at a ballgame or doing someone’s senior pics, he is always helping out around the community. It is no surprise to me that he is the Grand Marshal this year,” said Presley.

Steve Clark, THS Technology Department, grew up with Steed and said, “I have known Kelly most of my life. He is a servant-leader and an honorable man that I am proud to call my friend. He does so much for our school, the Class of 1986 and our community.”

Steed is actively involved in many organizations. He is a member of his church, First Christian of Mammoth Spring, AR, where he serves as worship leader and chairman of the board. Steed also serves as a board member for the Thayer Public School Foundation. He does photography as a hobby and is a freelance photographer for Ozarks Sports Zone out of Springfield, MO.

Steed said his most memorable Homecoming would have to be his senior year. “I knew it would be one of my last great experiences in high school. The saying, ‘You never know what you have until you no longer have it’ – really is true.”

Steed said he was really involved in high school through basketball, baseball, band, and as class president his senior year. “Through these teams and the student body you make many long lasting friends and memories,” he commented.

If I could give one piece of advice to the students today it would be to be kind to one another and get involved in school activities.”

— Kelly Steed

Steed is married to Angela Todd from Mammoth. They have one daughter, Ashley Steed, a 2013 graduate of THS. Kelly’s twin, Kevin, two other brothers, Butch and Jerry, and his sister, Barbara all graduated from THS. The Steed family has a big legacy to leave with our small town in southern Missouri.

(The Homecoming Parade was recorded and can be seen on Thayer-ETV post parade.)

Thayer-ETV

2 Comments

2 Responses to ““Go Big or Go Home””

1. Vanessa Farkas on September 16th, 2017 8:10 am

Kelly, congratulations and God Bless you.

2. Alicia Burke on October 2nd, 2017 12:26 pm

I just wanted to add that when Kelly coached in pee-wee he did an amazing job. Those girls will forever remember those days and be thankful for them. Congratulations, Kelly!!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• “Go Big or Go Home”

Features

Greg Langley: From THS Graduate, to Veterinarian

• “Go Big or Go Home”

Features

Veteran as American as Apple Pie

• “Go Big or Go Home”

Editorials

Some Say ‘Don’t Buy’, But I Say Why?

• “Go Big or Go Home”

Editorials

From the Heart of One Journalist to Another

• “Go Big or Go Home”

Features

Whitaker Joins Elementary Staff

• “Go Big or Go Home”

Features

Destini and her Life Destiny

• “Go Big or Go Home”

Editorials

Politics Invading the NFL

• “Go Big or Go Home”

Features

THS Golfer Goes Down Under

• “Go Big or Go Home”

Features

THS Welcomes Alum to Faculty

• “Go Big or Go Home”

Features

Coursey Joins Science Department

The Student News Site of Thayer High School
“Go Big or Go Home”