THS Cat Chat

FCCLA Sponsors Blood Drive

Some Seniors Donated for the First Time

Jalen Andrews, Managing Editor

The Thayer FCCLA (Family Career and Community Leaders of America) partnered up with the American Red Cross and the Community Blood Center of the Ozarks to host a blood drive at Thayer High School on September 13th. There were many donors, and many volunteers to help put on this blood drive. The FCCLA had members help the people from the CBCO with organization and food. Many students and members of the community came to donate their blood.

The FCCLA is not new to hosting this event, as they have held a blood drive for several years in a row now. FCCLA sponsor Shelley Underwood said, “The FCCLA has been helping with blood drives for at least 16 years, probably more, and we do it usually two times a year. We are glad to be a part of this because this club wants to help save lives, and we feel that we are playing a part in this process.”

Donors from THS were glad to be doing a good deed for people in the Ozarks, and several people were first time donors. One of these first time donors was Megean Frazier, who had this to say: “This is my first time giving blood, and I am going to do this so I can hopefully help people who need my type of blood. I feel like they would have a part of me in them, and that’s a great feeling.”

Megean Frazier-THS Senior First Time Blood Donor

Another donor, Shelby Grimes, said, “I want to help people who might need my blood, I have done this five times, which ends up being a half gallon of blood. I will come back to give more blood after I graduate so I can continue to help people.”

Shelby Grimes-THS Senior

Many other students came to participate in the FCCLA’s blood drive, but there were more than just student donors. Rita Croney, who works at the Thayer High School central office, also came to donate blood. Croney said, “I have given blood at least a dozen times, and I do this so I can help others in need. I will continue to do this in the future for sure!”

Rita Croney-THS Central Office

There will be more blood drives at THS during this school year, so if you missed out on this one and want to give your blood to those in need, then come out to the next one. Go to the THS website (http://thayer.k12.mo.us/) to see when the next one will be held. The Thayer High School is glad to see so much support from the student body and the community for these events, so make sure to stop by next time.