THS Cat Chat

Destini and her Life Destiny

Back to Article
Back to Article

Destini and her Life Destiny

Destini and her Bobcat family-Ryan, Brilee, and Chandler

April Earls, Copy Editor

Destini Ball was born in 1989 in Springfield, Illinois. Her childhood consisted of her single dad in and out of prison, and a mom that she had no memory of in her life. Destini was raised on and off by her dad and her grandparents through the sixth grade. A month after Destini’s 12th birthday, her and her little brother were placed in foster care. When they were first removed from the care of her dad, there were not any available foster homes, so they lived in a children’s home in Boys and Girls Town in Springfield, MO. Destini and her brother lived there for several months until they found a home that would take them both.

When they were finally put in foster care, it changed their lives. “It was definitely an adjustment. I lived in Illinois and Idaho, both in the city. When I was placed in foster care, I was placed with a family in Couch, Missouri in the country. It was like a whole new other world because I had to live on a farm and I had never even been on or seen a farm before in my life. I didn’t know anything  about the way they lived”, said Destini.

When Destini was fifteen, a sophomore in high school, her and her brother were adopted by her foster parents. “At this point, I knew that I wasn’t going back to my mom and dad so I was ok with it and I was at peace with it. It was neutral because I knew it was going to happen”, Destini said. For Destini, it was difficult to adjust to her new family. “It was difficult adjusting because my foster parents were ultra conservative Christian people and that was different for me because I was raised Catholic. So, every aspect of their lives wasn’t what I had ever experienced before”, said Destini.

It was never easy for Destini, but she knew it was the best thing for her and her brother. “I often wondered how so many kids that I went to school with had such an ideal childhood”, Destini said. As time past, she began to see the plan that God had for her. “Now that I am older, I can see that God had plans for my life and this had to happen. I met my husband, Ryan Ball, when I was twelve and placed with my adopted parents. I think that’s pretty cool to think about, I never would have met Ryan if I wasn’t placed with the family in Couch. We met at church, and later got married in that same church”, said Destini.

(Left to Right) Cruz-Destini’s brother in foster care, Ryan-her future husband, Cody-her adopted brother, and Evan-Ryan’s brother.

Destini now has a relationship with her real parents. “I still have contact with them today and I had seen them when I turned eighteen. It was my choice to see both of them, and I get along with them fine and we have a good relationship”, said Destini.

Destini’s childhood has affected her in many ways. “I like to overcompensate and I know that I do that. I like to give my kids (Brilee who is 7 and in 2nd grade, and Chandler who is 2) the biggest birthday parties because I remember not really having birthday parties or my parents not even really remembering that it was my birthday”, said Destini. She said she tries to give them everything they want and her husband, Ryan, tries to pull her back. “He is like the balance. It’s like he has to pull me back and tell me when it’s too much”, Destini said.

Being lonely as a young child she said she also has separation anxiety and she doesn’t like to be away from her kids. “I like them sleeping close to me so that way I know they are ok and I just want to give them everything I never had. I know this sometimes can be a bad thing”, stated Destini.

Destini then stated the advice she would give to children/teenagers who have had a bad childhood. “Keep your head up and make good decisions for yourself, even when they are hard to make. You can make better decisions than your parents have made, and still be successful. There are several teachers within this school that have had less than ideal upbringings, and have still chosen to be successful and happy, and have made a good life for themselves and their kids, and you can too.” 

Destini at age 15 when she was officially adopted.

When Destini was eighteen, she started to make decisions for herself. “I had to start making decisions for myself and to do that, you almost had to be selfish because you want better for yourself”, said Destini. Destini’s last advice was inspirational. “Only you can make yourself successful. I truly believe God has a plan for your life, and even when it is hard to understand and see that plan, I am confident that eventually it will become evident to you”, Destini stated.

Destini transferred to Thayer High School when she was a senior and graduated in 2007. Today she is an assistant for the library and special education departments. Her ‘destiny’ is now evident. “Life is good,” Destini said.