THS Cat Chat

St. Jude Treats Patients with Care

Trick-or-Treat Time is Sweet at the Hospital

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Madison Bowers Trick-or-Treating

Madison Bowers Trick-or-Treating

Jordan Burgett, Reporter/Photographer

On Halloween, patients at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital want to just be kids.  According to St. Jude’s media relations department, every year, doctors, scientists, nurses, and staff work together to turn the hospital into a giant trick-or-treating extravaganza for the patients. This is all done while providing exceptional care to patients just like Madison Bowers, a current freshman at Thayer High School. Bowers was once a patient at the hospital.

Madison Bowers-THS Freshman

The mission of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, based in Memphis, TN, is to advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Bowers was only a little over two years old when she was diagnosed with a brain tumor.

“We were definitely in shock we didn’t know what to think.  We just wanted what was best for Madison. She went to St Jude’s in May of 2005, and our journey began,” said Monica Bowers, Madison’s mother. Bowers said that they just prayed with their family and did what the doctor said as they started Madison’s treatment plan.

Monica’s mother said that Dr. Thomas Merchant was over the radiation clinic and that he directed Madison’s care plan. “She was scheduled to have six and a half weeks of radiation just on the tumor sight so she would have less side effects and it would not do as much damage to the healthy tissue around the sight,” Bowers said.  Each day she had a treatment, but they put her to sleep for it so she would be still. This was a new treatment that they were offering to children.

Monica’s mom said that St. Jude is a wonderful place. “Without St. Jude’s Madison might not be with us today. They are there to help not only the child, but the family cope with the difficult time,” she said.  Bowers said they have everything to offer you there at the hospital and Madison loves to go back for her check up to see her nurse Ms. Christy and Dr. Merchant.

St. Jude is known as a hospital that helps cure kids from cancer without any cost. It was opened by Danny Thomas on February 4, 1962. Over the years, St. Jude’s has now treated children from all 50 states and from around the world. Their treatment programs they offer are the following: brain tumors, leukemia/lymphoma, infectious diseases, immunodeficiency diseases, blood disorders, sickle cell disease, and solid tumors. According to St. Jude, treatments invented at the hospital have helped push the overall childhood cancer survival rate from 20% to more than 80% since it opened more than 50 years ago.

Consistent with the vision of their founder, Danny Thomas, no child is denied treatment based on religion, race or a family’s ability to pay. Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food — because all a family should worry about is helping their child live. 

You can go tot  St. Jude’s links below and send a Halloween card, or other holiday cards, to the kids fighting cancer like Madison Bowers was once upon a time.

Create a card 

Donate