THS Cat Chat

Some Say ‘Don’t Buy’, But I Say Why?

"I Would Model the Costume to Honor Her Legacy"

Anne Frank Costume Controversy

Anne Frank Costume Controversy

Anne Frank Costume Controversy

Angela Sorrell, Reporter/Photographer

The company that designed and distributed a controversial outfit this year is Halloween Costumes.com. They started their company in 2001,  and they sell costumes online or over the phone. Their costumes are distributed from North Mankato, Minnesota. “The owner and founder of the company is Tom Fallenstein,” said Kristin from customer support. The original costume name was changed to Child’s World War II Girl due to people complaining about it being called the ‘Anne Frank’ costume the company spokesperson remarked. It is a blue button-up dress, accessorized with a green beret and a brown shoulder bag. It was thought to have been the outfit wore by young girls in the 1930’s and 40’s.

The costume was called offensive because it was portraying Anne Frank whose ‘Diary’ told about living the life under the Nazis.  Many people and critics complained about the costume, which in return moved the owner of the costume to stop selling the costume. The company had no intention of insulting or offending anyone.  Some said the costume was thought to “exploit”  Anne. “We learn from Anne Frank’s life and death to honor her and prevent such a future atrocity. We don’t exploit her,” said Anti-Defamation League’s St. Louis, MO branch spokesperson.

Born on June 12, 1929, Anne Frank was a German-Jewish teenager who was forced to go into hiding during the Holocaust. She and her family, along with four others, spent over two years during World War II hiding in an annex of rooms above her father’s office in Amsterdam. Since it was first published in 1947, Anne Frank’s Diary has become one of the most powerful memoirs of the Holocaust. Its message of courage and hope in the face of adversity has reached millions. The diary has been translated into 67 languages with over 30 million copies sold. Anne Frank’s story is especially meaningful to young people today. For many she is their first, if not their only exposure to the history of the Holocaust. After being betrayed to the Nazis, Anne, her family, and the others living with them were arrested and deported to Nazi concentration camps. In March of 1945, seven months after she was arrested, Anne Frank died of typhus at Bergen-Belsen. She was fifteen years old. Her bravery and legacy live on, however, and she is frequently cited as a model for today.

I would personally not mind modeling her Halloween costume and telling people about her life and legacy.