THS Cat Chat

Bobcats Win District Championship

One-Two-Three in a Row

Photographer-Kelly Steed
2017 DISTRICT CHAMPS-Head Coach Billy Webber, Assistants-Bryan Tate, Eric Metcalf, and David Meek.

Jalen Andrews, Managing Editor

Not one, not two, but a three-peat. The Thayer Bobcats are district champions for the third year in a row after the 14-0 victory over the Pierce City Eagles on Pierce City’s home field. The Bobcats have only solidified their domination in the Class 1 District 2 after another championship, despite their number 3 seeding going into the district tournament. They beat the number one and two seeds on their way to their third championship in a row, and held the number one seed Pierce City to zero points.

Winning three in a row is something that is uncommon in high school football, and Thayer does not take this for granted. “This is starting to feel like clockwork winning districts three years in a row, but we are thankful that we have been able to be in these opportunities through our careers,” said senior Bobcat Jett Haven. Haven, a three year varsity player, and the rest of the senior class have been blessed with winning three district championships in four years, something that hasn’t been done many times in Thayer football history.

The Bobcats traveled a long three hours to Pierce City on November 3rd to play the number one seeded Eagles, and they made sure the trip home would be as happy as the trip up. The Bobcats had a 7-0 lead at halftime, despite an injury scare with Bobcat center Dawson Russell. Russell was injured midway through the second quarter, but was able to return in the second half, but only on the offensive side. Russell’s defense was greatly missed, but as usual, Thayer used the next man up strategy, and it worked. The Bobcats held Pierce City in the second half also, and scored late in the fourth quarter to put the game out of reach. Garret Young was his usual self while running the ball, and great defense by freshman safety Jayce Haven kept Pierce City’s passing game at bay.

While happy and grateful for the district championship title, Thayer realizes that their work is not done. “Winning districts three years in a row is a big deal, but we are not satisfied. We are ready to get Valle here on Saturday and kick some tail,” said senior running back Garrett Young. Valle Catholic is the Bobcat’s sectional matchup, the same team they have lost two the last two years. The game will be held in Thayer on Saturday, November 11, at 1:00 p.m.

Thayer High School has been an athletic dream school in the last few years, and this year the football team continued this legacy. Dawson Russell, Thayer’s center said, “I feel honored to be able to play for Thayer and to have the success that I have had in  my career here. This district championship feels great, but we hope to continue our winning on Saturday.” Will the Bobcats be able to continue winning? Only time will tell. But as for now, Thayer is going to enjoy their third district championship in a row.