THS Cat Chat

Greg Langley: From THS Graduate, to Veterinarian

Dr. Greg Langley in his clinic

Dr. Greg Langley in his clinic

Photographer- Kelsey Barton

Photographer- Kelsey Barton

Dr. Greg Langley in his clinic

April Earls, Copy Editor

Greg Langley graduated at Thayer High School in 1994. His favorite things about going to Thayer were the football games and spending time with his friends. While he enjoyed his time at THS, he found a greater passion two years later. His dream job was to be a veterinarian. Once Greg figured his long-term goal, he began to pursue it at Missouri State. “It definitely took a lot of science in college. Chemistry and biology were very important and crucial in college”, said Langley. About five years later, he got his undergraduate degree and started going to vet school at Mizzou. Four years later, he graduated vet school and finally became a veterinarian.

“When we finally opened the clinic, I was very nervous. Everybody was standing over my shoulders and asking me questions”, said Langley. When Langley first started his job, he struggled to diagnose the animals. “It was very difficult. There were always a lot of professors around me during school, and they were not there after I got out. Most diseases have the same symptoms, so it was very hard to tell at first”, said Langley. It took Greg a few years to finally get experienced and get comfortable at his job. “It took about three years for my business to finally start to show a little profit”, said Langley. His business started to do very well. “I believe that the people from this small town helped my business grow and prosper”, said Langley.

Twenty-two years later, Greg Langley is still very passionate at his job as a vet. “There’s always something different everyday I step into the clinic. My favorite part of being a vet is helping animals that are sick when they  probably wouldn’t have survived without any treatment or medicine”, said Langley. He said he loves working with every animal that comes through the door, but his favorite animals are dogs. He typically only works with dogs, cats, sheep, and goats. Working with these types of animals can be very difficult at times. “I have been kicked, ran over, bitten, and scratched probably on a weekly basis”, said Langley.

While it seems like Greg Langley multitasks and does it all, he gets a lot of help. “I have three assistants and they are very helpful. My wife helps me out all she can and she’s basically my boss”, said Langley.  

Greg also said at times, it can make his family life stressful. “It was very hard balancing my work life and my family life out when I first started working. By then, I would probably spend about seventy hours a week at the clinic, so it makes it pretty difficult to spread my time around”, said Langley.

“The hardest part of my job would probably be managing time off and having to euthanize stray animals  because I can’t find a home for them. It’s always busy because of all the towns around me and if you leave for just a day, there is a lot of things to caught up on. On average, I usually have about 125 clients a week, so it is very busy all the time”, said Langley.

While it seems very stressful at times, Greg loves having his clinic in a small town. “The big advantage is that you don’t have to compete with the big chain stores. I’d rather be in a small town than a big town any day. My clients have always supported me very well and have always been there for me and my clinic. I also have clients not just from Thayer, but from other towns as well. Most of my other clients come from Koshkonong, Mammoth Springs, Alton, Couch, Salem, West Plains, and Doniphan. They are all very loyal and nice customers and I appreciate them a lot”, said Langley.

Greg’s last thought was about the vet industry itself. “When I was going to vet school at Mizzou, it was the first year that women out numbered the men. Ever since then, it has stayed that way. Right now, the vet profession is about eighty percent female. The new class that just started in Mizzou has 120 people in it and 107 of them are females”, said Greg. While he is thrilled with the amount of women working in this field, he believes that there is beginning to be a decline for men in this field. “I encourage anyone who is willing to go to college for nine years and loves animals, to be a veterinarian. We are always in a need for some”, said Langley.