THS Cat Chat

FBLA Goes to St. Louis for National Conference

Thayer FBLA Members Attend Fall Leadership Conference

Mikayla Allen, FBLA Correspondent

Over 800 Missouri middle, high, and college students attended the 2017 Future Business Leaders of America — Phi Beta Lambda Fall Leadership Conference in St. Louis November 10-11. The National Fall Leadership Conference is the premier leadership opportunity for America’s business students each fall. In total, nearly 2,400 members traveled from across the country to the Show-Me State for two days of leadership development and career planning.

“Missouri had the pleasure and honor of serving as the host to NFLC in St. Louis. With such a vibrant, rich, and diverse business environment, the Show-Me State was the perfect setting for a business conference. We could not be more proud of the hospitality our local chapters and the state gave to all attendees,” Chris Dzurick, Missouri FBLA-PBL State Adviser.

At NFLC, members toured businesses like Edward Jones and Peabody Electric, both headquartered in St. Louis. Workshops from industry leaders expanded horizons of many students, with presenters from MBA Research and even ABC personality Val Baldwin. Exclusive tracks were also available for students who were new to FBLA-PBL, providing them a chance to learn leadership essentials.

“I found the sessions very enlightening. I learned that you can not shut out another person’s ideas or opinions. You will never win being a close-minded person, and respect for one another goes a long way.” Logan Lowther, Thayer FBLA member and conference attendee.

Two general session keynotes rounded out the conference, with speakers Rhett Laubach and Scott Backovich. The sessions were led by Phi Beta Lambda National President Kimberly Clark, a senior at Culver-Stockton College in Canton, MO. Fbla North Central Region Vice President Ryan Siegel, a senior at Otterville High School in Otterville, MO., assisted in leading the sessions. Missouri was awarded largest FBLA (high school) chapter attendance and largest PBL (college) chapter in attendance.

“The keynote speakers were two of the best I have ever heard. I learned that if we want to initiate change within our school and community, it has to start from us. Backovich explained that he was not asking of us to “change the world,” like we hear so often from motivational speakers. As the leaders of our chapter and school, we are offered so many opportunities that others don’t have. Instead, Backovich was simply saying that we help the people who aren’t as privileged, offer them the same opportunities, and change their world.” Grace Cochran, President of Thayer FBLA and conference attendee.

Missouri FBLA-PBL, under the guidance of Business, Marketing, and IT Education Director Lori Brewer, Supervisor Chris Dzurick, and Administrative Assistant Susan Kulyan, acted as the host committee. This included the development of workshops, activities, business tours, and serving as the onsite staff for the conference. Missouri FBLA-PBL’s Executive Leadership Team volunteered and welcomes members.

Missouri FBLA-PBL, a chartered member of National FBLA-PBL, is a registered 501(c)3. Their mission is to bring business and education together in a positive working relationship through innovative leadership and career development programs. Missouri FBLA-PBL membership exceeds 16,000, making it the second largest state chapter of the organization in the nation and the second largest career and technical student organization in Missouri.

TOYS FOR TOTS

As the community’s largest contributor, Thayer FBLA will once again be participating in Toys for Tots. The mission is to collect new, unwrapped toys in the upcoming weeks and the Toys for Tots program directors and volunteers will distribute those toys as Christmas gifts to less fortunate children of our community and the surrounding areas. The kids get to sit on Santa’s lap and tell Santa what they want, and the goal is to give them their desired gift. With help from FBLA members and others in our community and school, we hope to make many children’s Christmas wishes come true. Anyone can donate; collection will begin on Monday, November 27, and go through Thursday, December 14. If you are an FBLA member, you will receive two points for every dollar spent on the items. Thayer FBLA hopes you will donate to this awesome program.